Current version: 1.8.162 (released 6 March 2014)
What is it?
YouTube Options is web browser enhancement. It works with:
- Google Chrome (Current versions of Stable, Beta, Development, and Canary) for OSX, Windows, and Linux
- Opera (Current versions of Production, Next, and Development) for OSX, Windows
- Apple Safari (5.1, 6, 7) for OSX, Windows
You will have the option to hide everything except the video, block pre-roll and in-video ads and annotations, create download links to all available video resolutions, and much more.
Supports Flash & HTML5 videos, YouTube “Feather” beta, and embedded YouTube videos.
Before using YouTube Options, please keep in mind:
YouTube change their pages all the time and have more completely different layouts than you can possibly imagine. You might have one that we have not seen before, and if you do, this extension might not work as expected.
So if something is broken, please let us know and we will do our best to fix it.
While YouTube Options is a polished product, it relies on websites we don’t control and browsers we didn’t write. Both can and will make changes beyond our control.
Extensions or software with overlapping functionality or Flash-blocking abilities will and can prevent YouTube Options from working correctly.
Flash & HTML5 video
- Block in-video advertisements
- Block in-video annotations
- Block most pre-video video advertisements
- Disable auto-play
- Disable Flash DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP)
- Enable or disable Flash pre-buffer
- Set desired video resolution
- Set the default display size
- Set HTML5 playback volume
- Set desired video codec (Flash or HTML5)
- Make the video fill the window
- Sync the display size to the resolution
- Replay/loop videos
- Show/hide the Page header
- Show/hide the Video title
- Show/hide the Video description
- Show/hide the User comments
- Show/hide the Video suggestions sidebar
- Show/hide the Page footer
- Show/hide the Playlist
- Show/hide the YouTube Guide
- Reverse YouTube playlists
- Hide everything with one click
- Hide player controls
- Change player control colours
- Keyboard control of almost everything
- Modify page icon to show video status
- Use mouse to resize video
- Use mouse to fast-forward/rewind video
- Use mouse to change the video volume
- Create RRS links for YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram
- Four choices for page background colours
- Change pages to use SSL
- YouTube Options creates links to save all available resolutions and versions of a video.
- You may have more versions and different formats to download than you will have to view in-browser.
- When using the Google Chrome browser, the download option is only available in the “Full Version”. The Google Chrome Web Store Developer Agreement prevents the Google Web Store from hosting an extension with this feature.
- Video downloads are also available for Vimeo, Metacafe, g4TV, The Dump, and others.
Other video sites
- Most display options are available for Vimeo, Dailymotion, Metacafe, g4TV, FEARnet, Funny or Die, Hulu, The Dump, and others.
- Some video ads are removed from Metacafe, Twitter, and embedded YouTube videos when using the “Hide in-video ads” option.
- Auto-play can be disabled for some Dailymotion, Twitter, and embedded YouTube videos when using the “Disable auto-play” option.
- YouTube Options works very hard on embedded YouTube videos. For best results, you should always view the video on the hosted video site.
- The only difference between the Google Chrome web store version and the “Full” version for Chrome is the ability to download media.
- YouTube Options for Apple Safari does not work in “Private Browsing” mode.
- YouTube Options can not block some very rare types of video ads (the ads can also prevent disabling auto-play).
- Problems with quality or performance of videos is a source, video codec, operating system, DNS, video cache server, or browser version issue. (Hint: blame ISP first, then Flash, then the browser build, then the video drivers).
- Browser, OS (Operating System), Adobe Flash, and video player (this includes YouTube and the other supported sites) bugs are all beyond our control.
- Conflicts with other Extensions are not our problem.
- YouTube Options does not do any audio or video encoding or re-encoding. If you do not see the resolution or format you want, please contact the video author and request that they add the additional resolution(s).
- We are not going to host a MP3 conversion server for legal, ethical, and financial reasons.
- The Stable and Beta versions of Windows Google Chrome do not allow installing the “Full” version. You can read more about this here.
- NGINX is awesome.
This page includes Google Analytics code so that we can track usage for support and/or software localization purposes.
YouTube Options is Copyright © 2010-2014 smart people on ice, LLC (spoi). All rights reserved.
All source, code, graphics, and the “YTO” logo are Copyright © smart people on ice, LLC (spoi). Do not reproduce, copy, or imply without permission.
All products mentioned are registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective companies. Their use does not imply any affiliation with, endorsement by, or certification by the respective trademark holders.
Do not host, archive, include, integrate, or distribute YouTube Options without written permission from smart people on ice, LLC. (spoi).